Madewell Recalls More Than 50,000 Women's Sandals
Metal shanks may break through the bottoms
Watch your step. Fashion retailer Madewell voluntarily recalled 50,900 of its "Sightseer" sandals in the U.S. and Canada on August 20. The recall comes after eight reports of metal pieces slicing through their sandals. The metal piece can break through the bottom of the sole, creating a fall hazard, according to the safety notice on the Consumer Product Safety Commission website.
While no injuries have been reported, the company emailed the affected customers last week to alert them of the safety notice with information on how to return the recalled sandals.
This recall involves all Madewell Sightseer sandals from the spring 2015 collection. The 10 styles were sold at Madewell stores, online at madewell.com and online at shopbop.com from February 2015 to July 2015 for $60 to $80 and were manufactured in Brazil.
Six of the recalled Madewell sandals (Photo: Madewell)
You can find the style number on a sticker on the sole of the sandal, according to the safety notice. The following style numbers and names in all sizes are being recalled:
- C0275 Sightseer Knotted Slide Sandal
- C0276 Sightseer T-Strap Thong Sandal in Black Leather
- C0277 Sightseer T-Strap Thong Sandal in Metallic Colorblock
- C0278 Sightseer Buckle Gladiator Sandal
- C0279 Sightseer Slide Sandal
- C1105 Sightseer Crisscross Sandal
- C5893 Sightseer T-Strap Toe-Loop Sandal
- C5895 Sightseer Ankle-Wrap Sandal in Shiny Silver
- C5897 Sightseer Lace-Up Sandal
- C6090 Sightseer Ankle-Wrap Sandal in Metallic Sand
If you own any of the recalled sandals, CPSC advises to stop wearing them immediately and contact Madewell for a full refund at (866) 544-1937 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The company will provide a free shipping label for easy returns.