7 Poisonous Plants to Avoid

How to recognize them and what to do if you touch one
Oleander Photo: Olga Larionova/Shutterstock
people hiking in jungle
poison ivy
poison oak
Poison sumac leaves
spurge plant
machineel tree fruit
3 / 7


Remember the book "White Oleander"? The author of the thriller gave away the murder weapon by putting it in the title, but it’s a good reminder that every part of this bush (including the leaves, roots, seeds and the white, red or pink flowers) is poisonous. If you have kids, grandkids or neighbors close by, don’t be tempted to add these pretty blossoms to your garden: Oleander shrubs can cause skin irritation in a small child who even touches one of its leaves, and ingesting a leaf or flower could kill him. Symptoms include stomach pain, weakness and blurred vision. If you or someone else has these symptoms after exposure to oleander, call 911.

comments powered by Disqus